Sunday 22 June 2014

Review: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell


Title: Fangirl

Author: Rainbow Rowell

Summary: "Fangirl is a coming of age story about fanfiction and first love. It focuses on Cath, who has been a fan of Simon Snow books her entire life. When both Cath and her twin sister go to college, her sister begins to drift away from the fandom and from Cath, and Cath has to learn to exist outside her comfort zone." (Wikipedia)

Rating: 4.5/5

Review: (Edit: this turned up being a lot longer than I intended but I had a lot of thoughts, sorry not sorry)

First off, I would like to say that I have spent a lot of time not wanting to read this book. I heard about it not long after it was released and, to be quite honest, I was a bit hesitant. It was the title, I'll admit. Perhaps I should've given the book more of a chance (or even, y'know, read the blurb) but the title made me wary of what role fandom was going to play. I assumed it was going to be really good or terribly cringe-worthing. I favoured the later and decided to not pick it up.

But boy, was I wrong in doing so. After it seemed to explode earlier this year and I heard lors of good things, I decided to give the book a second chance (or probably a first if you considering how lame my 'first' one was). And you know what? I absolutely adored it. This book is one of those books where you pick it up intending to read a few chapters before bed, and the next thing you know you're turning the last page and the sun is peaking up over the horizon. And you're left sitting in your bed, trying to remember who you are and not quite wanting to let the characters go just yet. And I didn't. I really wanted to know more about Cath's story and everyone else but alas, it had to come to an ending. And now it's time for me to word vomit about my thoughts.

Okay, so here's where I'm going to get into spoiler talk, so spare yourself if you haven't read the book yet! Go read it and then come back and join the discussion :)


Now, let's talk about Cath. I don't think I've found many main characters which I relate to more than Cath. Being only in my second year at university (or college), my memory of being a freshmen is still so fresh (heh) in my mind and Cath was so close to how I was last year. The social anxiety is something that just stuck out to me so much. So often throughout the book, I was reading scenes that felt like there were based off instances that had actually happened to me in first year. I've not read many books which have captured the feeling of social anxiety so well. Granted, I also got frustrated with her a lot, particularly in the first half of the book. I felt like she never /tried/ to get out of her comfort zone (I really wanted her to just once say yes to joining Raegan for lunch). While I understand there was a point to seeing that, I never felt her transition out of this and noticeably take more chances. I would've like to see her more open to things at the end of the book than she was.

Moving on, I also loved seeing how fandom and the Simon Snow fanfiction was integrated into the story and her life. Going back to one of my previous comments, the reason I didn't want to read this book, was I thought it would be very fandom heavy. And not in a good way. It's difficult to explain, but I feel as if Rowell really captured what it's like to be a “fangirl” without it making it overly quirky or poking fun at it. It felt real. It felt right. And also I love that there was a respect for fanfiction as a work of literature. As someone, who has read a lot of fic, it was nice to see this. And the parallels to Harry Potter were lovely. Cath's love for the Simon Snow books reminded me so much of how much Harry Potter was to me growing up, and the emotions I felt at the release of the last book. Admittedly, I cried a little when Wren and Cath get their copes of the last Simon Snow book.

Okay, so now onto the romance. Levi, Levi, Levi. I thought their romance was adorable. I loved how patient he was with her. And that he liked her fanfiction. Those scenes where she reads to him were just oh, so lovely. I think a lot of what I liked about their relationship also has to do again with how much I understood where Cath was coming from. The disbelief and the insecurity about his feelings was something I could really get. And I really felt that pain when he was making out with that girl at the party and she has that moment where it isn't like 'How could he do this?' but more like 'I knew it couldn't be true'. But despite their little mishap, I really enjoyed reading their relationship blossom. It was so cute.

Now to probably my favourite part about this book was the focus on the familial relationships. I love Cath and Wren's relationship so, so much. I'm a huge fan of 'quiet' scenes in a book. I can't think of another way to describe it but I like scenes where it's just two character being completely comfortable in each other's presence, sitting in silence and not feeling the need to impress the other. I just adored the scenes with Cath writing on her laptop and Wren just laying there in silence reading over her shoulder. It was really nice. And Cath's relationship with her Dad was nice as well. I really related to Cath's constant worry for her Dad. I have a similar situation with my own father and I think a lot of those scenes really got to me. Also, Laura. There was a bit of a hit and miss feel to this subplot but I found it interesting all the same. I really felt it could've been explored a bit more, but I still appreciated that it wasn't overdone in the same stroke. It felt more real having Laura remain out of Cath's life and I also appreciated that Cath came to not judge Wren for including Laura in hers. I feel like I'm rambling on this subject so as a whole, I really liked the importance the family relationships were given in the book but wish they'd also gotten a bit more time.

Okay, now to the not so nice things. I've already mentioned them a bit but anyway. The reason I can't quite give this book a 5/5 (despite what my Goodreads says. Damn your lack of half stars, Goodreads!) is that there are some things which left a little to be desired about the book. One thing was, as I mentioned before, how closed off to the world Cath was and seemingly remained throughout the story. I understand what she was feeling. I really do. But I would've liked more for her to try and get out of her comfort zone more often than she was shown to do. It didn't feel like she'd grown much at the end of the novel.

Another thing is that I feel there were a fair few scenes of the book that felt very anti-climatic. I think the resolve between Cath and Levi after the party seemed a bit...unsatisfying. It was too short and there wasn't a lot to it. But more importantly, I felt the conclusion to the book was left quite unresolved. I felt like it focused primarily on the romantic side of the story and left the other points of the book not quite so tied up. I wanted to see her finish her fanfic, finish the final Simon Snow book...I just wanted a bit more. Some of this probably has to do with me not wanting to let the story go (and believe, I really didn't) but I also genuinely feel like the story needed something a bit more at the end to tie it all together.

But all in all, Fangirl is a super fun read. I don't read a lot of contemporary novels but I would definitely recommend this one if you want a light read and the plot sounds like something you'd be into. Also, well done, Rainbow Rowell. This is an excellent book and I will be sure to check out your others in the future.

Until next time!
Jess, xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment